Carl Fiocchi (he/him/his)
Lecturer, Professional Master Program Coordinator
Office: 337 Olver Design Building
Dr. Fiocchi’s interest and research is concerned with high performance energy efficient buildings with special emphasis on the building envelope and mechanical systems of both residential and commercial structures. Dr. Fiocchi’s experience in construction, coupled with the imminent threat of climate change, provided the impetus for this focus. Modernist architecture and its subset Brutalism, as it relates to the above, has been the recent and primary focus of his work.
- Evaluation of High-Performance Envelopes
- Evaluation of Dynamic Glass Performance
- Construction of multiple High-Performance Envelope assembly mockups
- BCT 311: Sustainable Indoor Environmental Systems
- BCT 313 / Arch 550: Light Frame Construction
- BCT 520/Arch 520: Energy and Buildings / Building Physics I
- BCT 521: Environmental Control Systems
- BCT 521LL: Energy Modeling eQUEST
- BCT 492C: Sustainable Building Systems and Construction Technology
- ECO 692C: Sustainable Building Systems and Construction Technology
- ECO 692S: Readings in Sustainable Building Systems
- ECO 697Q / Arch 697K: Green Design and Historic Preservation
Ph.D. (Building Systems, University of Massachusetts-Amherst)
M.Arch. (Architecture, University of Massachusetts-Amherst)
B.A. (Biology, University of Pennsylvania)
Selected Recent Publications
Fiocchi, L. Carl, Phetogo Patrick Malatsi, Todd K. Fuller, Susan M. Campbell, Jeffrey Dreyer, Jackie Fiocchi, Dana Fuller, Mark R. Fuller, Anne Hazzard, Paul R. Sievert, Curtice R. Griffin. Honey Badger Mellivora capensis predation on an African Sharptooth Catfish in the Okavango Delta, Botswana (June 2020).
Fiocchi, L. Carl, Alexander C Schreyer, Peggi Clouston. A New Teacher on Campus. Learning by Design (Oct 2017).
Fiocchi, L. Carl (2016). A Period Examination through Contemporary Energy Analysis of Kevin Roche’s Fine Arts Center at University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Scholarworks @ UMassAmherst.
Fiocchi, L. Carl, Hoque, S., Weil, Benjamin (2014). Improving Accuracy of Building Energy Modeling Simulation Programs with Weather File Compensation Factors. ASHRAE Transactions – 2014 Annual Conference – Seattle, vol. 120, part 2.
Fiocchi, L. Carl, McCusker, Catherine, Weil, Benjamin (2012). Holdsworth Retrofit and Renovation. University of Massachusetts-Amherst Facilities
Fiocchi, L. Carl and Hoque, S. (2011). Sustaining Modernity: An Analysis of a Modern Masterpiece, The Gropius House. Proceedings for the 13th Canadian Conference on Building Science and Technology, Winnipeg, Canada: NBEC.
Fiocchi, L. Carl, Shahadat, M., and Hoque, S. (2011). Climate Responsive Design and the Milam Residence. Sustainability 2011, 3, 2289-2306; www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability.
Fiocchi, L. Carl (2010 A Sustainable Design for the American Commercial Strip Mall. Scholarworks @ UMassAmherst.