Pre-Travel Registration Required

All University-related travel for any out-of-state or overnight travel by all faculty, staff, graduate students and undergraduate student employees funded by the university must be registered through the UMass Travel Registry prior to travel.  Use this link to access the Registry:


Select Amherst as your campus.  Use your UMass log-in id and password.

After your trip is registered, and approved, the Registry will assign a unique ID number that must be included on the travel reimbursement request form

Who should approve your itinerary?

Carolyn Safarik


File a Travel Reimbursement Form with Receipts Attached


You should file a travel reimbursement request form within 30 days after you return from the trip. Complete the travel reimbursement form, attach all original receipts, and submit the paperwork to the Department office room 226 Holdsworth Hall or email Lori Miner ().

Original receipts are required for all expenses. If an original receipt is lost, but a photocopy is available, the photocopy will be accepted.

If an original receipt is lost and a copy is unattainable, then a Missing Receipt Affidavit form must be completed and submitted.

AIRFARE:       A confirmation itinerary is not an acceptable receipt.  The itinerary must be the itinerary/receipt version which includes not only the flight details but also information about form of payment.

If the traveler is unable to obtain a copy of the airline receipt, a copy of the itinerary and one of the following must be included:

  • original credit/debit card statement or charge slip
  • canceled check or other record of payment

HOTEL/LODGING:        Hotel bills must be original and must include the daily charges, not just the total charge.


Per Diem  (“M&IE” – Meals & Incidental Expenses):

Per diem is now calculated for calendar days of travel rather than 24 hour periods.  Travelers may claim up to 75% of the daily allowable per diem rate for the first and last day of travel.  The full rate may be claimed for the remaining days of travel.

For example, if your travel began on December 1st and you returned on December 4th, you may claim 75% of the daily rate for December 1st and 4th, but use the full daily rate for December 2nd and 3rd.

For travel in the continental U.S., use


For travel to Alaska, Hawaii, and US Territories, use

(Use “Outside CONUS” section, select country from drop down menu and the “Include Military Installations” box should be unchecked.)


For international travel, use

(Use “Outside CONUS” section, select country from drop down menu and the “Include Military Installations” box should be unchecked.)


A printed copy of the webpage showing the per diem rate used must be submitted with the expense reimbursement form.

Converting International Currencies to U.S. $

Travel reimbursements are processed in U.S. dollars. If the receipts are not in U.S. dollars, it is advisable to provide a credit card statement for any payments made on a credit card.  This will provide the exact currency conversion and the traveler will be reimbursed for the actual amount spent.

Foreign currencies may be converted using the rates at:  Travelers will be reimbursed using the currency rates that were in effect on the dates of travel.

A printed copy of the webpage showing the conversion calculation must be submitted with the expense reimbursement form.

Mileage – Personal Car Usage

If you use your car for business travel purposes, you are eligible to claim mileage, currently at the rate of $0.580 per mile (1/1/19).  You should calculate mileage based on UMass as your starting point, unless the actual mileage from your starting point is less than the distance from UMass to your destination.  You must provide either one of the following to prove your mileage claim: identify the beginning and ending odometer readings from your car (travel mileage log) , or calculate mileage using a driving directions web application – you can use MapQuest, Google, Yahoo or any similar map application.  Round up or down the mileage total.