Pre-Travel Registration

All University-related out-of-state or overnight travel by faculty, staff, graduate students, and undergraduate student employees must be registered through the UMass Travel Registry prior to the trip.

After your trip is registered and approved, the Registry will assign a unique ID number that must be included in your Travel Reimbursement Request.

Lexie Renna () will approve your itinerary.


Submit a Travel Reimbursement Request

You must submit a Travel Reimbursement Request within 30 days of returning from your trip.

Please submit your reimbursement request by using our new Travel Reimbursement Google Form. The form will capture all the details (dates, costs, speedtype, etc.) and allow you to attach receipts*.

*Receipts are required for all expenses. Please make sure that the receipts include the last 4 digits of the credit card number. If unavailable, please include another proof of payment (credit card charge/statement).

If you cannot get a receipt, a Missing Receipt Affidavit form  must be completed and submitted.

Please reach out to Maggie DeGregorio () or Lexie Renna () if you have any questions regarding the Google Form or your reimbursement request.



An airfare receipt must include all flight details and the form of payment.

If the traveler is unable to obtain a copy of the airline receipt, a copy of the itinerary and one of the following must be included:

  • original credit/debit card statement or charge slip
  • canceled check or other record of payment

              Fly America Act Information & Resources:

All air travel funded by the federal government is required to use a “U.S. flag” air carrier service.


Decision Tree

Exception Form

Controller’s Office Training PowerPoint


Hotel bills must be original and must include the daily charges, not just the total charge.

Travelers may stay in rental accommodations (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.) if the total cost is equal to or less than a standard hotel single room occupancy.  Documentation must be provided to show the cost comparison.

Mileage – Personal Car Usage

If you use your car for business travel purposes, you are eligible to claim mileage, currently at the rate of $0.625 (07/01/2022). Calculate mileage based on UMass as your starting point, unless the calculated mileage is less when using your actual starting point (ex. your home).  You must provide either one of the following to prove your mileage claim: identify the beginning and ending odometer readings from your car using the Mileage Log or calculate mileage using a driving directions website (Google Maps, Mapquest, etc).

Mileage rate covers all automobile expenses such as fuel, maintenance, towing, repairs, tires, depreciation, and insurance.

In addition to the standard mileage allowance, necessary and reasonable charges for the following automobile-related expenses are allowed: Tolls, parking, and fees for ferries, bridges, tunnels, etc.

Per Diem (“M&IE” – Meals & Incidental Expenses)

A printed copy of the webpage showing the per diem rate used must be submitted with the expense reimbursement form.

Per diem is now calculated for calendar days of travel rather than 24 hour periods.  Travelers may claim up to 75% of the daily allowable per diem rate for the first and last day of travel.  The full rate may be claimed for the remaining days of travel.

For example, if your travel began on December 1st and you returned on December 4th, you may claim 75% of the daily rate for December 1st and 4th, but use the full daily rate for December 2nd and 3rd.

For travel in the continental U.S., use for accurate per diem rates.

For travel to Alaska, Hawaii, and US Territories, use

(Use “Outside CONUS” section, select country from drop down menu and the “Include Military Installations” box should be unchecked.)

For international travel, use

(Use “Outside CONUS” section, select country from drop down menu and the “Include Military Installations” box should be unchecked.)

Converting International Currencies to USD$

A printed copy of the webpage showing the conversion calculation must be submitted with the expense reimbursement form.

Travel reimbursements are processed in U.S. dollars. If the receipts are not in USD, please provide a credit card statement. This will provide an exact currency conversion.

Foreign currencies may be converted using the rates at:  Travelers will be reimbursed using the currency rates that were in effect on the dates of travel.