Communications and Accounts
What is OIT?
- OIT (Office of information technologies) provides computer and telephone services on campus
How do I obtain an OIT account?
- You should receive a NetID and password when you are officially accepted into the Graduate school. Use the NetID to activate your OIT account at the following link: https://spire.umass.edu. You can change your password after the initial setup.
- When you establish your OIT account you will receive a UMass e-mail account
What if I did not receive a NetID and password?
- Contact the OIT office in LGRC A113, (413) 545-9400. You will need to go down the office to set up an account.
- Your NetID and password are used to access several of the services provided by OIT
What services are provided by OIT?
- Wireless web access on campus
- UMail–UMass e-mail interface
- Send, receive, and manage your UMass e-mail account
- Storage limit 30 MB. You can request more space from OIT if necessary.
- UMail attachment size limit is 5 MB
- You can forward your e-mail to any e-mail account
- Access UMail using supported e-mail servers such as Mozilla Thunderbird, Netscape, Outlook, Apple, and Entourage
- You can search for e-mail addresses of UMass students and faculty using the address book UMass directory search
- Web server used to store and share files, on and off-campus access
- Available space: 250 MB
- SPIRE–Personal student center
- Search and register for classes
- Course schedule
- Access your academic record
- Check your finances (Bursar account, Financial Aid, etc.)
- Change/edit your personal contact information
- Web server learning interface that uses the Blackboard Learning system software
- Several professors use this website to post course information such as the syllabus, lecture material, grades, etc.
Updated: September 10, 2008